Railway station in Petrozavodsk
The monument of architecture constructed within the period from 1953 to 1955 according to the project of the architect V.Tsipulin in the stream of late neoclassicism. It gves the composite beginning to Lenin Avenue being the main functional axis of the city centre and dominates over the ensemble of Gagarin Square. The building represents a complete symmetric-axial composition. Despite of its 82-meter longness, the building does not look monotonous.
Location of the railway station on the relief drop at a significant difference between the levels of the landside area and the platform has allowed to avoid weaknesses inherent in the enfilade way of designing, to divide levels of the zone of operational premises and the waiting space. The core of the railway station is its hall with two tiers of windows connected with ticket offices, business premises, and the underpass leading to platforms on the ground floor; and with the restaurant and the waiting room on the second floor. Flooring of the second floor rests upon the architrave of columns located at the balcony parapet.
The main part of the composition is the central three-tier volume with monumental four-columned recessed portico. Round belvedere above it is crowned with the octahedral turret topped with a spike. The central projection represents an idiosyncratic portal - the city gate, and the lateral projections remind corps de garde — wardrooms characteristic for decoration of entrances to cities of the classicism architecture of the XVIII-XIX centuries. The building is richly decorated with stucco moulding and has a developed Corinthian order. In 1979 a luggahe-and-ticket center with the main entrance from the platform was constructed close to the station (architect E. Voskresensky).
Encyclopedia Karelia is published by PetroPress Publishing House ©
Pervomaisky Ave. 48, Petrozavodsk