Customs office of Karelia is a part of the system of customs bodies of the Russian Federation and it is located in the zone of activity of the Northwest Customs Department. It has been founded on July 1, 2008 by merging of Kostomuksha, Petrozavodsk and Sortavala customs according to the order of the Federal Customs Service of Russia N515 of April 29, 2008. The Karelian customs code is 10227000.
The zone of activity of the Customs Office of Karelia includes territory of the Republic of Karelia. The organizational structure of customs includes services, departments, branches and 16 customs posts.
- customs registration and over the territory of subordinated region;
- application of customs tariff and tax mechanism regarding taxation related to goods passing through the customs border with the Russian Federations;
- collection of customs duties;
- currency exchange regulation;
- keeping customs statistics and analysis;
- suppression of infringements of the customs legislation;
- other tasks.